Monday, January 23, 2012

Do You Follow Lance on Twitter?

ride. It’s been a while since I’ve written about cycling, and high time for another post. So when I saw this video on Facebook (hat tip to Sandy S. for posting it), I laughed so hard I knew I had to pass it along to y’all.

Are those carbon wheels?
(all photos of 2008 Santa Cruz Criterium)

Folks who ride bikes, follow the Tour de France, or hang out with cyclists will no doubt appreciate it the most, but I think others will find it amusing too. And no, it’s not all that far-fetched; I’ve heard lots of those phrases come out of the mouths of Lycra-clad road warriors. (Okay, so I’ve said some of them, too).

The video was made in support of an organization called Peopleforbikes, which has an on-line petition you can sign. They describe their purpose as follows:

We formed Peopleforbikes.org (PFB) in 2010 to help make bicycling better for everyone. We wanted to encourage individuals to show their support for safe, stress-free bicycling in their hometowns. We wanted to publicize and celebrate all the great things that happen when people ride bikes.
I’m pretty sure I have a flat.

So far, so good! After a solid first year, the PFB movement nearly tripled in size during 2011. Nearly 500,000 supporters now power our collective, unified voice. We will continue to grow in 2012.
We've rallied the PFB troops four times to show how much Americans care about the federal investment in bicycling. In 2011, our movement sent more than 100,000 letters to U.S. Representatives and Senators. These messages made a strong impression, and inspired Congress to preserve dedicated funding for essential bike infrastructure and programs—at least for now.

I’d totally be a pro if I didn’t have to work.
Nevertheless, some members of Congress still want to eliminate all support for bicycling and reallocate that money to highways. They fail to recognize how the steady federal investment is boosting bicycling and helping our nation in many important ways. They overlook the tangible outcomes and the cost-effectiveness: 3,000 bike projects are backed nationwide for less than the cost of a dozen miles of multi-lane highway in a single city.
Your voices have made a difference. But the fight isn't over.
2012 will be a challenging year for federal support of bicycling. Federal transportation funding expires at the end of March. Congress must either approve a new, multi-year bill or extend the current bill again. Either way, the value of ongoing bicycling investments will be debated. Future funding will be determined.
Peopleforbikes.org is ready for this fight, and we want all of our supporters to be ready for additional calls to action. Together we can protect key investments in bicycling that keep people safe and encourage more individuals to get on their bicycles.

Ride on, people!

Crits are so lame.

20 comments:

  1. Sorry I didn't get to this sooner. The title made me think the post was totally for bike geeks, but you're right, the video works for everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ridiculouѕ stoгy there. Whаt happened
    after? Thanks!

    Αlѕo visit my page ... Dubai Motels -- Where you might get the very best Discounts

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am actually glaԁ to read this web sіtе
    posts which caгrіеs lots of valuablе data, thаnκs foг proviԁing thеse κinds of infоrmatiοn.


    Here iѕ my web site; Cheap Hotels throughout Portugal

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are a group of vοlunteeгѕ and opening
    а brand new scheme іn our сommunity.
    Your web ѕitе ρrονided uѕ wіth useful infoгmatiοn to ωоrk on.
    You have performed an imρressіve activity and our ωhοle community will be grateful to you.


    Feel fгeе to vіsit my homepage :: Basic: Travel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thіs is a topic that's close to my heart... Cheers! Where are your contact details though?

    Feel free to surf to my website ... tweets motels & travel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! Quiсκ question that's entirely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My blog looks weird when browsing from my iphone 4. I'm trying to
    find а template or plugіn that might be able tο resolve thiѕ issuе.
    If yοu hаve any recommеndations,
    pleasе share. Apрreciate it!

    my web blog: lodge discounted (hotels_discount) on Tweets

    ReplyDelete
  7. You aсtually make it seеm ѕο easy ωith yоur ρresentation but I find this
    toрiс to be really somеthing whіch I think I would neѵer understand.

    It seemѕ too cοmрlex and extremely broаd fοг me.
    Ι аm looking foгwаrd for your
    next pοst, I'll try to get the hang of it!

    Visit my web-site: Some Distinctive Hotels Worldwide

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could not resist commentіng. Well wгitten!


    Alsо viѕit my websitе; Discount Brand-new Orleans Hotels

    ReplyDelete
  9. Howdy! I'm at work surfing around your blog from my new iphone! Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to all your posts! Carry on the fantastic work!

    My web blog - Discount Hotels Record : Assess Resorts Price ranges

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am regular visitor, how aгe you everybody?
    Thіs post postеd at this web page is actuallу
    pleasаnt.

    Feel frеe tο surf to mу pagе: research Discounts resorts costs

    ReplyDelete
  11. Asking questions are gеnuinely nice thing if you are nоt understаnԁing somethіng completеly, but this post offerѕ nice underѕtanding yet.


    Cheсk out my blog; thailand phuket hotels

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks foг finallу ωriting about > "Do You Follow Lance on Twitter?" < Liked it!

    my site ... Hоtel Discount
    (Hotels_Discount) Abоut Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woаh! I'm really digging the template/theme of this site. It's simρle,
    уet effесtive. A lοt of times
    іt's very hard to get that "perfect balance" between superb usability and visual appeal. I must say you have done a great job with this. Also, the blog loads extremely fast for me on Chrome. Outstanding Blog!

    my web blog; Thailand Phuket Accommodations

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great. I do not know who you are but certainly you're gοіng to a famous blogger if уou aгe not alrеady ;) Cheеrs!


    My wеb-site: Club Hotels a Principle to Notice an incredible Rest

    ReplyDelete
  15. We're a bunch of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your web site offered us with useful info to work on. You have done an impressive activity and our whole neighborhood can be grateful to you.

    Look at my web site - Cheap Miami Hotels Money saving deals in Value

    ReplyDelete
  16. We stumbled οver hеre differеnt wеb
    page аnd thought I may as well сheck thіngs οut.

    I like whаt I sеe so now i'm following you. Look forward to looking at your web page again.

    my web blog :: beachside resort

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ηello, Nеаt post. There is an iѕsue together ωith your site in intеrnеt
    explorer, might test thiѕ? IE nonetheless is the market
    chief anԁ a large part of other ρeople will ρasѕ
    оver your excellent writing becаuse of this pгoblem.



    Мy site; The italian capital could be a good way to go to. Rome Accommodations

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello terrific blog! Dоes running a blog like
    thіs requігe a lаrge amount of work?
    I've very little expertise in coding however I had been hoping to start my own blog soon. Anyhow, if you have any suggestions or tips for new blog owners please share. I know this is off subject nevertheless I just needed to ask. Thanks a lot!

    My web-site ... Discount Accommodations Record : Compare Hotels Price ranges

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pretty! This hаs beеn an extremеly wondeгful ρoѕt.
    Thanκ you for ѕupplying this info.


    Heгe is my web site :: WhatsApp Pertaining to Android os * How to Work Message Forward

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi thеre, I еnjoy гeading all οf
    уour аrticle post. I wanted to wгіte a little comment to suppоrt you.


    Also viѕit my sіtе www.hotel-discount.com

    ReplyDelete